It’s “Banned Book” week. Below is a bibliography of what we have on the topic of Books-About-Banned-Books (docx). All are available for check-out. Please visit The American Library Association (ALA) website on Banned and Challenged Books.
- American Library Association. (1994). Banned books … resource guide. Chicago, IL: Author
- Ayers, R. & Ayers, W. (2014). Teaching the taboo: Courage and imagination in the classroom. New York, NY: Teachers College Press.
- Bald, M. (2006). Literature suppressed on religious grounds. New York, NY: Facts On File.
Call#098.1 B175L 2006
- Bird, B., Danielson, J., & Sieruta, P. D. (2014). Wild things! : Acts of mischief in children’s literature. Sommerville, MA: Candlewick Press.
Call# 809.89282 B618w
- Burress, L. (1989). Battle of the books: Literary censorship in the public schools, 1950-1985. Metuchen, NJ: Scarecrow Press.
- Haight, A. L. & Grannis, C. B. (1978). Banned books, 387 B.C. to 1978 A.D. New York, NY: R. R. Bowker.
- Hinds, M. J. (2008). John Steinbeck: Banned, challenged, and censored. Berkeley Heights, NJ: Enslow.
Call# J B Steinbeck
- Karolides, N. J. (2006). Literature suppressed on political grounds. New York, NY: Facts On File.
Call# 098.1 K18L 2006
- Karolides, N. J., Bald, M., & Sova, D. B. (1999). 100 banned books: Censorship histories of world literature. New York, NY: Checkmark Books.
J 098.1 K
- Lent, R. C., & Pipkin, G. (2012). Keep them reading: An anti-censorship handbook for educators. New York, NY: Teachers College Press.
- Scales, P. (2001). Teaching banned books: 12 guides for young readers. Chicago, IL: American Library Association.
- Simmons, J. S., & Dresang, E. T. (2001). School censorship in the 21st century: A guide for researchers and school library media specialists. Newark, DE: International Reading Association.
- Sova, D. B. (2006). Literature suppressed on sexual grounds. New York, NY: Facts On File.
Call#098.1 S729L 2006
- Sova, D. B. (2006). Literature suppressed on social grounds. New York, NY: Facts On
Call# 098.1 S729L 2006
- Thomas, R. M. (2008). What schools ban and why. Westport, CT: Praeger.
This post has been updated for 2016.